Sunday, April 10, 2011

Walking Fashion Statement Day 2

Work on a Sunday, at least I'm covering a behind the scenes photo shoot in Hollywood. So it's a light fun coverage, and very casual and showbiz like. Plus it's a fairly warm sunny day. I'll disclose this...on my many journeys I do get perks, and samples. Today I'm wearing something I picked up from one of my recent shoots at Crooks & Castles, a Pinoy owned streetwear brand, very popular with hip hop's elite such as Jay Z, Nas, Outkast, and Diddy. So it's an honor to have met the creative team behind this very intriguing clothing company. As a Filipino American, from a similar background, I have mad love and pride for the Crooks. You say; Pinoy and fashion designer, you run into stereotypes. Far from the flamboyant stereotype, these guys are gritty, dark, but yet have a strange hood elegance to it. As far as I know they're the only Pinoy's that prioritize men's clothes on a mainstream level. Of course you get a lot of the small screen print shirt companies that you find at festivals, but these guys do it big. My first idea behind them, because of their rap star popularity, was a new generation of Fubu, Sean John type wear. That's not the whole story. These guys are very stylish. I would describe it as "Metro-thug" it has the soul of the ghettos but the style of Hollywood. It works great, and is a wonderful juxtaposition, as the name would suggest. I noticed there's a twist, lately I've been into Marc Ecko's designs. Ecko has been producing street attire, yet with a very professional look. Well, Crooks has been doing it as well. C & C is not just baggy, gangster rap clothes, they have a great line of clothes with the professional look and thuggish edge. It's a lot more street than Ecko. And the Crooks look totally works for me, since I'm still on the younger side, yet people say I portray both a somewhat professional appeal, with a mystique that I have an edge. Well when I got to know the Crooks, it made sense, founder Dennis Cavalero use to be a lead designer for...drumroll please...Marc Ecko!
Surprisingly, the simpler solid colored designs work well on camera. 

From head to toe

Shirt-Crooks & Castles the side print says Specialized Trouble Maker Locked and Loaded Get Money Player (usually in 50-60 dollar range I believe) 

Undershirt-Fruit of the Loom simple red undershirt to go under, and add a little color to match the kicks ($3 at Walgreens)

Watch-Kenneth Cole Reaction simple rectangle watch with a blue face ($45 Ross) Just know I do wear watches most of the time, and I'll put the description if it's visible. Otherwise, it'll just be a timepiece tucked under a sleeve somewhere. 

Jeans-Banana Republic same $25 bootcut jeans from the Citadel Outlet I wore the day before. Recycling is ok, just make sure you wash every few days.

Shoes-Nike Air Jordan Rare Air- Red, navy, gray, with silver detail, cushioned red insides almost like a thin puff jacket ( Gilroy Nike Outlet find $40!)

This was my jab at simple summer look. This look would cost over $300 with the shoes and watch, but a little hook ups and some great outlet finds put this in the 150 range. The one thing about Crooks & Castles is their merchandise is way too cool to find their way into Ross or Marshalls. It's a good sign for these guys. Macy's does not carry it either, so you'd either have to cop it at one of their two locations in West Hollywood on Sunset, or Hawaii or online. But when I do buy clothes at full price, I'm declaring that I will only buy ful price at Crooks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment